Tuesday 15 February 2011

THE BOOK PARTY



Hello...don't be shy...come on in!


Come on a little closer.

Come on, we won't bite (well maybe some of the children will, but we're working on that!)


There you are, welcome to the book party!

Big kidlet has been planning this party for a year, the invitations were made before Christmas, but to be honest, I don't need much encouragement to be drawn into the fun!


Her favourite book is Tatty Ratty by Helen Cooper, so I was instructed to make a cake with the aforementioned rabbit as the star. BK has her own rather scruffy Tatty Ratty, that, like it's namesake is often lost.  You can read about one of his escapades here, and how he was found here.


I have also been collecting old children's books on my travels for displaying the goodies.  Although when I was putting the display together I realised that in this case more was better, so I scoured the many book cases in our house for some of my old books.  I think I found three copies of Anne of Green Gables. (I'm filling up a little just thinking of those red plaits...and don't get me started on Pollyanna!)


We cut up some old picture books that the kidlets didn't read anymore to make bunting.


The dessert buffet, obviously the most important part of the party (to me!) included Tatty Ratty's favourite treat, doughnuts. (Although his were made by the Man in the Moon.) BK expressed her opinion the real doughnuts would take too long to make. So we whizzed up some cupcake mixture, half filled the holes of a shallow cupcake baking tray, a circle cutter, some glaze and sprinkles later and Bob's your Uncle and Tatty's your rabbit.


We also had mini cupcakes, cake pops, iced gems and strawberries to be a bit healthy.


For starters I made some old book pages into cones for their fish/sausage and chips.  I had suggested that I make some fish goujons, but this idea met with dismay "No, Mummy, they have to be packet fish fingers".  I was quite glad of one less thing to do so I agreed.
I used some more old book pages on the water bottles.
This actually came in handy as the revellers wrote their names on the bottles, so no germs were spread that day!


We had plenty of booky crafts on offer.  I had found these secret book here.  BK painted them a few days before the party, ready for the guests to create their own titles. We also had note books to be decoupaged and scratch bookmarks. 


I especially liked the tale of "The Big Bad Botom!" 


Then, of course, a pinata.

 I will write up a tutorial for this soon, it is so easy to make and one of the most enjoyable parts of the day.  Well who doesn't like to hit things with a big stick?


Mr Lemon Drizzle tried to read the the story of Tatty Ratty but quickly gave up as high spirits seemed to be the order of the day.


Each guest left with a party bag bursting with their crafts and some other goodies.  There was a beautiful hair band from Heartfelt Handmade. I had copied some text from a Milly Molly Mandy book and transferred it onto felt for Marie to use.  We also had a book biscuit for the bags made under BK's supervision.  I had her drawings to copy and the titles of each book handed to me.  There was also some letter sweets and a mermaid book each.


The whole two hours were over in flash, unlike the six hours leading up to it where we were constantly pestered with "How long now?"  "When are they coming" and "I want my party now!"
Anyway it was all worth it to see a happy kidlet curled up that night, clutching her raggedy rabbit and dreaming of cake!

32 comments:

  1. It looks amazing! I love the way you've used books as a cake stand and all the little details - inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words fail me Natasha! this is utterly beautiful and so inspired, I especially love the stack of books for a cake stand, the fish and chips, the pinata.
    Congratulations to you and Happy Birthday to the little lady x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this party!
    The cake with the rabbit is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are super-mum! Wonderful Tatty Ratty cake - it all looks quite beautiful - I bet you needed a few glasses of wine after that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's an amazing cake and what a lovely idea for a party....well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so fantastic! I love it all xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my! i think this may be one of my favorite parties to read about ever! where to start? i adore the book page bunting--i love buntings, but i loved that even more that it was made from books. ratty tatty cake is supurb along withthe little non-peril covered dots at the bottom! so adorable! the book pinata, using the stacks of books at decor. love every bit of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. God Bless it, Natasha...you put normal mums to shame!

    Why aren't you writing magazines like Martha Stewart, or Nigella Lawson or some such! :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what a wonderful party! I love the birthday cake, and the cones for the chips are adorable.
    Your daughter must be very happy...and you, very tired :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a fabulous cake. Nice book crafts, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. WOW!!! I LOVE this party. You're so amazingly clever. Starting with that GORGEOUS cake (you're AMAZING) all the way down to the water bottles. Thanks for sharing this beautiful party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful, how did you make the wreath? I would like to make one of those for an upcoming friends birthday party.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This might be my most favorite party I've ever seen!! I'd really love for you to submit this over at the M&T Spotlight. http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what a fantastic party - I wish I was a child again.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. your one rockin mom! beautiful, i just loved looking at all of the creativity you put into the decor!

    xo,
    alely

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! The detail and thought is amazing. My Mum who is a librian would faint if she saw this. The biggest crime in our house was folding a book back on itself :)
    I am still yet to own a cake stand and never ever would have thought to use books!
    Fantastic hope the birthday girl loved it. Best Wishes

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What a great party! Very unusual and a great idea... xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous from start to finish......... utterly fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfect, just perfect :)

    And couldn't help noticing the Disney's made it into the bunting ;-) - easy to let go of. But Charlie and Lola - what sacrifice!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! As a book lover and children's book advocate this would be my dream party come true! Could you fly to the states to set this up?! I'm totally kidding, but it would be divine I'm sure! Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing party. I love the details and love the way you used books in all the decor. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful party!
    You've created a little dream land.

    ReplyDelete
  23. came over from PB. love the use of the piano as the sweets display!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fantastic party! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Book party... How cool is that? I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so obsessed with this party!!!! AMAZING job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolute bliss. As an author and book lover, I couldn't think of a more perfect theme - and done with such style. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. lovely, lovely, lovely. this is the best theme I've heard of! happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic! I love all that you did here. I'm seeing a book party in my son's future now.

    ReplyDelete